Monday, September 10, 2007

Currently Reading...

I am currently reading "Girl Meets God" by Lauren Winner. It is a really interesting read about a girl who went to a lot of trouble to become an Orthodox Jew and then soon after converted to Christianity. So far, I've learned a lot about Orthodox Jewish traditions that I had no idea existed. Also, this girl is pretty much my hero because she is getting her PhD in American Religious History, which would pretty much be my dream except I probably wouldn't limit it to American. I am so interested in Church History, but that just doesn't seem like a practical goal to pursue for me. Ugh, this is just one more case of waiting for God to send me some incredible divine sign of what I am supposed to be doing with my life. I think I'll probably be waiting until I'm 80 for that. Ideally, I would research and write for the rest of my life, and design cards and things for my own use as a side hobby. As an academic, I feel like I would have the opportunity to be involved in various social justice ventures also. But then there are days when I want nice things like a house and nice clothes and I want to have kids and settle down and it seems like I should just do something practical like go to business school. But seriously, can I work in a business for the rest of my life?? Always thinking about money and the way to get the most out of people? That doesn't really seem like me. I just keep hoping that God will lead me in the right direction.

No comments: